Tuesday, December 4, 2007

An Icon Gone but Not Forgotten, Evel Knievel and his Slots

The guy who never said die, finally did.

If you looked up Icon in the dictionary you might see a picture of Evel. I'm reminded of the "What Becomes a Legend Most?" ad campaigns for Blackglama mink from the 1970's. I don't think Mr. Knievel ever draped ranch raised dead animal skins over his red white and blue leather get-up, but it would have made perfect sense. Evel was certainly a legend, in fact the English language could use a few more words to pin on the daredevil. He was completely original, and certainly invented himself. In a time when the U.S.A. was taking a beating, Evel came back time and time again after knocking on death's door. He was a hero, a flesh, blood, and bone man who refused to give up.

I once stood for hours in the cold of a downtown Vegas winter night to get Evel's autograph. It was only a few years ago, and they were taping the promos for "American Gladiators" if I remember correctly. I'm not one to be starstruck or collect autographs, but Evel was special.

He had his own slot machine, and it that doesn't make you an icon, well I don't know what does.

Here are few links you might enjoy. I haven't been able to find any Evel slots to play this week, but if I do, I'll slip in a $20 and revel in the voice of an American Master.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/05/Features/Daredevil_Evel_Knieve.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/01/wevel201.xml

http://www.igt.com/GamingGroup/Games/game_detail.asp?toggle=ovr&pid=5&type_id=2881&pl=#cnt

No comments: